I have already tried writing Care Credit for a refund of interest payments incurred after the one year promotional period. I was under the impression that I would begin getting charged interest on any amount outstanding after this period, but instead they tacked on interest of the full amount I owed so that after paying over $1200, I now owed more than what I originally did before my very first payment.

I pay $120 a month, and each month I owe more than the month before. I received an email referring me to their financial guidelines, and rejected my request that my account be credited for what I paid the first year minus interest, and that my interest payments be compounded after that first year as well.

Product or Service Mentioned: Carecredit Account.

Comments

Seattle, Washington, United States #822006

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau issued a consent order involving CareCredit in December, 2013. That consent order is in response to unfair and deceptive practices, and it covers CareCredit for 18 months from the December 2013 date.

See the consent order here: http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201312_cfpb_consent-order_ge-carecredit.pdf. File a complaint here: https://help.consumerfinance.gov/app/creditcard/ask. Note especially the "Prompt Complaint Resolution, Refunds, and Rescission" section of the consent order. Once you lodge a complaint with CareCredit, they cannot impose any fees or interest on the disputed balance, or send the account to collection.

Under the consent order, you have 60 months (5 years) to file the complaint, regardless of what CareCredit might claim. The consent order also states that consumers can file complaints via letter *or* over the telephone.